The Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives has completed the arrangement and description of the records of the Episcopal Diocese of Northern Michigan. The Archives acquired the Diocesan records in 1997 with the help of the late Lois Prusak and the former Bishop Ray. The collection is now open and available for public research. The collection documents the entire history of the Diocese when it began as an Archdeaconry in 1890. The collection consists of 19 cubic foot boxes, 3 smaller, special collection boxes, and one oversized item drawer.
The collection includes a complete set of annual reports from the Diocesan Convention and Women’s Auxiliary and Episcopal Churchwomen meetings. In addition, the collection contains monthly publications of Hiawathaland, the Diocesan newspaper, from 1952 to the present. Of particular note is a very large set of photographic and audiovisual materials, including a set of stereo slides which produce 3-D images.
Researchers may be interested in the extensive series of correspondence that provide an intimate look at the state of the Diocese, the surrounding community, and region from the perspective of various bishops and clergy, including personal letters from historical figures such as Walter Gries, John X. Jamrich, Princess Ileana of Romania, and President Gerald Ford.