The CTL is sponsoring a professional development day for faculty and other NMU instructors on Monday, August 18. We have a full day of programming planned, with a wide variety of sessions facilitated by CTL staff, faculty members, and other members of the NMU community. The program grew beyond one day, so we will also have a few sessions the morning of Tuesday, August 19. This event will be one of the first opportunities to see the new Jamrich Hall in action, with sessions taking place in Jamrich learning spaces and several opportunities for building tours.
Check out the full program and mark your calendars now! Pre-registration is not required, but is appreciated, as it will help us plan refreshments and handouts.
On Friday, March 21, the CTL welcomed Dr. Robert Beichner to campus.
Dr. Beichner was the originator of the SCALE-UP program, which developed and assessed active learning classrooms. This project served as the model for LRC 108 and the active learning classrooms in the new Jamrich. Dr. Beichner is a professor at North Carolina State University and their Director of STEM Education.
Dr. Beichner, an award winning educator and leader in researching and developing active learning spaces, had a busy day at NMU. His morning began with a continental breakfast with faculty, followed by a workshop on “Using Learning Spaces Wisely.” Following a lunch with Deans and Department heads, he led a second faculty workshop on “Approaching Teaching Systematically.” Both workshops were well attended and received positive feedback.
Recordings of both workshops are available.
Shoot great-looking video of yourself with your iPhone, iPod touch, or pocket camera with Swivl. Using a wireless marker, this device automatically follows you horizontally and vertically, and features an integrated microphone for CD-quality sound.
Please join us Friday, February 7, between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., for the NMU Center for Teaching and Learning Open House/Launch Party in LRC 128.
Last fall, the Provost and Academic Cabinet approved establishing an NMU Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) to promote and support such things as best practices in teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning. The CTL will expand on the instructional technology services you’ve come to expect from the CITE by offering more comprehensive support for teaching and learning in online and face-to-face environments.
Since Fall, we’ve been working to get the CTL off the ground, with notable activities including:
- Naming Dr. Jill Leonard, Professor of Biology, as the CTL’s first Teaching and Learning Scholar.
- Beginning to plan programs and events for this semester, as well as Summer and Fall.
- Reconfiguring the space in LRC 128 (known since 1999 as “the CITE”) to better fit the workflow and activities envisioned for the CTL. (Note: This remains a work in progress, as we hope in the future either more thoroughly renovate LRC 128 or move to a new space.)
While planning continues, we are inviting the campus community to see what we’ve done so far, and to share input on how the CTL can best serve faculty. We will have stations set up throughout the open house time to highlight services and upcoming programs. We will also have some short presentations, demonstrations, and tours scheduled throughout the time period. Planned topics include:
- New Jamrich Hall’s learning spaces (with classroom layout diagrams)
- Quality Matters
- Instructional Design
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Upcoming CTL Programs Activities
- Introduction to Learning Circles (at 10:15 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 12:15 p.m., and 1:15 p.m.)
- Active Learning Classroom tours (at 11:00 a.m., 11:45 a.m., 12:30 p.m., and 1:15 p.m.)
- Presenting wireless with a tablet using Smoothboard Air (at 10:45 am, 11:45 a.m., 12:45 p.m., and 1:45 p.m.)
Snacks and beverages will be served. No need to RSVP—just stop on by. On behalf of the entire CTL team, we hope to see you there!
We are extending the hours of the CITE for the winter 2014 semester. The CITE will be open for the following hours beginning January 13th:
- Mondays – Thursdays : 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Fridays – Saturdays: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Sundays: Closed
Hours between fall 2013 and winter 2014 will be as follows:
- Monday, December 16th 10:00am-6:30pm
- Tuesday, December 17th through Thursday, December 19th 10:00am-5:00pm
- Friday, December 20th : 10:00am–3:00pm
- Monday, December 23rd 10:00am-5:00pm
- Thursday, January 2nd 10:00am-5:00pm
- Friday, January 3rd 10:00am-3:00pm
- January 6th-10th 10:00am-5:00pm
- Saturday, January 11th 10:00am-4:00pm
From our partners at MERLOT:
MERLOT, the Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching has been enhanced to facilitate the MERLOT community’s discovery and sharing of its Open Education Resources (OER). Highlights of the new MERLOT II can be viewed on our YouTube Channel. MERLOT II was released at EDUCAUSE 2013 in Anaheim, CA on October 15th.
The MERLOT OER collection contains more than 42,000 online learning materials including open textbooks, courses, journal articles, and technology-based learning materials. MERLOT II introduces new social networking tools for its international community of more than 116,000 faculty, staff, students, administrators, and librarian members, enabling them to share their teaching and learning expertise across more than 25 academic disciplines.
The California State University’s (CSU) Affordable Learning Solutions initiative incorporates MERLOT services as one of its cornerstones. Since the creation of MERLOT in 1997, higher education and K-12 institutions, nonprofit associations, special interest groups, and corporations have integrated the system into their online education initiatives.
Find out more and become a member at www.merlot.org.
Read the press release at the CSU Public Affairs site.
You are currently subscribed to newsletter as: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To unsubscribe click here: http://listsrv.lists.merlot.org/u?id=303552.847956fef76d8a02f5b33378a16b8327&n=T&l=newsletter&o=248915
To subscribe to the list send a blank email to email@example.com