Shoot great-looking video of yourself with your iPhone, iPod touch, or pocket camera with Swivl. Using a wireless marker, this device automatically follows you horizontally and vertically, and features an integrated microphone for CD-quality sound.
Please join us Friday, February 7, between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., for the NMU Center for Teaching and Learning Open House/Launch Party in LRC 128.
Last fall, the Provost and Academic Cabinet approved establishing an NMU Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) to promote and support such things as best practices in teaching and the scholarship of teaching and learning. The CTL will expand on the instructional technology services you’ve come to expect from the CITE by offering more comprehensive support for teaching and learning in online and face-to-face environments.
Since Fall, we’ve been working to get the CTL off the ground, with notable activities including:
- Naming Dr. Jill Leonard, Professor of Biology, as the CTL’s first Teaching and Learning Scholar.
- Beginning to plan programs and events for this semester, as well as Summer and Fall.
- Reconfiguring the space in LRC 128 (known since 1999 as “the CITE”) to better fit the workflow and activities envisioned for the CTL. (Note: This remains a work in progress, as we hope in the future either more thoroughly renovate LRC 128 or move to a new space.)
While planning continues, we are inviting the campus community to see what we’ve done so far, and to share input on how the CTL can best serve faculty. We will have stations set up throughout the open house time to highlight services and upcoming programs. We will also have some short presentations, demonstrations, and tours scheduled throughout the time period. Planned topics include:
- New Jamrich Hall’s learning spaces (with classroom layout diagrams)
- Quality Matters
- Instructional Design
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Upcoming CTL Programs Activities
- Introduction to Learning Circles (at 10:15 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 12:15 p.m., and 1:15 p.m.)
- Active Learning Classroom tours (at 11:00 a.m., 11:45 a.m., 12:30 p.m., and 1:15 p.m.)
- Presenting wireless with a tablet using Smoothboard Air (at 10:45 am, 11:45 a.m., 12:45 p.m., and 1:45 p.m.)
Snacks and beverages will be served. No need to RSVP—just stop on by. On behalf of the entire CTL team, we hope to see you there!
We are extending the hours of the CITE for the winter 2014 semester. The CITE will be open for the following hours beginning January 13th:
- Mondays – Thursdays : 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Fridays – Saturdays: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Sundays: Closed
Hours between fall 2013 and winter 2014 will be as follows:
- Monday, December 16th 10:00am-6:30pm
- Tuesday, December 17th through Thursday, December 19th 10:00am-5:00pm
- Friday, December 20th : 10:00am–3:00pm
- Monday, December 23rd 10:00am-5:00pm
- Thursday, January 2nd 10:00am-5:00pm
- Friday, January 3rd 10:00am-3:00pm
- January 6th-10th 10:00am-5:00pm
- Saturday, January 11th 10:00am-4:00pm
From our partners at MERLOT:
MERLOT, the Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching has been enhanced to facilitate the MERLOT community’s discovery and sharing of its Open Education Resources (OER). Highlights of the new MERLOT II can be viewed on our YouTube Channel. MERLOT II was released at EDUCAUSE 2013 in Anaheim, CA on October 15th.
The MERLOT OER collection contains more than 42,000 online learning materials including open textbooks, courses, journal articles, and technology-based learning materials. MERLOT II introduces new social networking tools for its international community of more than 116,000 faculty, staff, students, administrators, and librarian members, enabling them to share their teaching and learning expertise across more than 25 academic disciplines.
The California State University’s (CSU) Affordable Learning Solutions initiative incorporates MERLOT services as one of its cornerstones. Since the creation of MERLOT in 1997, higher education and K-12 institutions, nonprofit associations, special interest groups, and corporations have integrated the system into their online education initiatives.
Find out more and become a member at www.merlot.org.
Read the press release at the CSU Public Affairs site.
You are currently subscribed to newsletter as: email@example.com.
To unsubscribe click here: http://listsrv.lists.merlot.org/u?id=303552.847956fef76d8a02f5b33378a16b8327&n=T&l=newsletter&o=248915
To subscribe to the list send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org
IDT will be offering an “Introduction to Qualtrics” workshop on Tuesday, November 5 at 2:30 pm. The workshop will be repeated on Friday, November 15 at 9:00 am.
This 90 minute hands-on workshop will introduce participants to the basic features of the Qualtrics online survey tool. The workshop will cover creating surveys, distributing them, and analyzing their results. Participants should bring their own laptop computers, which they will use throughout the session. If you do not have a laptop, please notify us in advance of attending so that we can make alternate arrangements.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Identify resources that provide Qualtrics technical assistance and monitor guidelines for Human Subjects in Research
- Log in to Qualtrics
- Create a survey that includes a variety of question types
- Add conditional elements to control questions displayed to participants
- Distribute a survey
- Download raw data for use in Excel or SPSS
- Generate a report of survey results
To register for either session, please visit http://idt.nmu.edu/registration
Contact Matt Smock (msmock at nmu.edu) if you have questions.
Get the latest on what’s going on in the world of the Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) – check out the latest issue of From the Vineyard.